The transcript of the online chat with Peter Jackson and Guillermo Del Toro is online and can be found here.
Here are some of the main points that I found interesting:
- Ian Holm will appear in some fashion in the film, but will likely depend on the physical demands of the role. They will know more once the script is finished.
- Howard Shore will be back to score the films
- GDT says Ron Perlman has a “good chance” of being the voice of Smaug, but he actually has “other plans” for using him in the film
- Early production timeline according to Jackson: “the rest of this year and start early conceptual designs. 2009 will be dedicated to pre-production on both movies and 2010 will be the year we shoot both films back to back. Post productin follows one film at a time with The Hobbit being released Dec 2011, and F2 release Dec 2012.”
- No serious casting moves will be made until next year
- The second film does not have a title yet.
- No decisions have been made about an online production blog
- GDT: “I am all for trying to preserve every idiosyncrasy the novel has- the very things that seem