Here is a message posted by Guillermo on the TORN message boards today:
In a few days there will be a BIG announcement (big for me, at least) that is not-Hobbit related. BEFORE anyone starts wondering the usual “how does he have time?, Is this detracting form The Hobbit?” etc It is a project that started over 2 years ago, before The Hobbit and will render fruits in the mid-term, not intruding on my Hobbit duties. Rest assured.
The key letter is “D”
So what is the mystery “D” project? Here are the possibilites:
- DEADMAN – the GDT produced project was first announced July 2006, close to two years ago. And since director Nikolaj Arcel was recently announced, we could be hearing more about this comic book hero soon.
- DEATH – THE HIGH COST OF LIVING – we first heard about Guillermo’s plan to executive produce Neil Gaiman’s directorial debut back in June of 2007. Since Mr. Gaiman happened to make a set visit to HELLBOY II to learn a few things about directing, it wouldn’t surprise us if the DEATH project was still alive.
- DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK – this horror remake co-scripted by Guillermo is already filming in Melbourne. Don’t expect any big news here. This project is already well on it’s way.
- DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE – GDT’s involvement with the mad doctor was first made public back in September in 2008. Could an announcement be forthcoming on this horror tale? Could be, but we think it is unlikely.
- DROOD – we’ve been keeping our eye on this one for the last year. It is a perfect film for Guillermo. Not only is he a fan of Dickens, but it has mysterious skeletal strangers, dark passage ways, insects, madness and more
If we had to guess, we thank best odds are on another announcement for DEADMAN (an actor perhaps?), but the darkhorse pick is for DEATH – THE HIGH COST OF LIVING.
We think the third most-likely scenario would be a staggering announcement that GDT will be directing DROOD after the HOBBIT, but it is stil a real long shot that Guillermo’s next film would be in the pipeline this early…